Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I’m one of THOSE people



That’s right, I’m one of THOSE people.  I try not to be, but really I am.

I stand in freezing cold, pouring rain, the wind whipping against my bare legs.  It is dark, it’s been a long day and I am exhausted.  My hand is so cold against the metal handle I squeeze that I actually think its burning. 
If you haven’t guessed it, I’m pumping gas. Late at night. In the worst weather possible. In a skirt.  All because that ugly yellow light is staring at me and I’m more than 20 miles away from home.  Trust me, if I were less than 20 miles away from home I would take my chances and just drive home.  Only to forget to that I was out of gas as I as I ran out the door 5 minutes past the time I should have left for work.  Stress, lateness, hypothermia.  Just another day in the life of Kelly.

But does it really have to be?  Why do I have wait for the yellow light to stop and get gas?  Yes, my car runs out of gas at the worst possible time.  But that isn’t the world conspiring against me, it’s me conspiring against me. It happens to me all the time.  There were beautiful days when the sun was shining, I had some extra time, some money in my pocket and a half full tank.  I’ve tried be to that person stops for gas then.  It only ever happens when I also have a chocolate/coffee/and or milkshake craving and there happens to be a Stewarts.  That also has gas.

I do this all the time.  Finishing a handmade gift minutes before a party.  Pulling all nighters to finish writing assignments, grading deadlines, “reflection papers.”  Not writing on the blog because no one will notice anyway. 

There is a bigger story here.  A deeper philosophy that shows the true inner workings of my psyche. But really, the moral of the story is, get shit done before it becomes a necessity, emergency, crisis of epic proportion.  Stop being one of THOSE people.  I’ll let you know how it goes, as soon as I thaw out my hand. 

1 comment:

  1. I've become one of those people, too! I can't stand myself sometimes. Good thing there are a bunch of us.

    ReplyDelete