Friday, December 3, 2010

Marrying a townie...

I moved back to Amsterdam about three and a half years ago. I didn't plan on staying, but as time went on I began to see my city through new eyes. As I'm sure this blog will reveal over time, there are so many reasons to believe in this city and so many people who refuse to do so. Ignoring the naysayers, Amsterdam does have a foundation of people that are dedicated to their families and their community. The organizations, buildings, parks, and programs throughout the city provide a uniqueness that is hard to appreciate until I moved away. When I moved back, I was reintroduced to these things and eventually introduced to my husband-to-be. He works locally, hangs out locally, spends his money locally. His 5 year old car only has 50,000 miles. I might (definitely) make fun of him for this once in awhile.

One such time that I might have (definitely have) made a joke in that direction was right after we got engaged (not locally I might point out). His response was to mockingly sing "your gonna marry a townie, your gonna marry a townie." Laughter and beer drinking ensued and I started to think, "You know, if I am going to marry a local, I should REALLY marry a local." Could we, as two locals, have a completely local wedding? Could our economically struggling city really have enough businesses to carry out a 200-300 person wedding? What effect would spending the significant amount of money it takes to have a wedding have on local businesses?

Well there is only one way to find out. We are officially having a “buy local” wedding. Here are the guidelines:
1. The wedding and reception will take place within the 12010 zip code.
2. Whenever humanely possible, money will be spent at locally owned businesses/vendors within the boundaries of the Greater Amsterdam School District (as not to leave out the town of Amsterdam, Hagaman, or Fort Johnson).
3. Whenever humanely possible, money will be spent on local products made in the State of New York.
4. I am going to have to spend money at Target and Joann Fabric. I just have to. But never, ever Wal Mart.


So what to call this wedding....
my ever ego-centric mind wants to call it "Amsterdam's finest" (I almost called this blog that).

What do you think I should call it???

1 comment:

  1. "I Amster-do"

    You could even put it in your vows...Do you Kelly take this man to be your husband...."I Amster-do".

    ReplyDelete