Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day Hands and Feet!

Winter is rough.  We just had a winter storm named after a fish up here in New York.  We ended up with about 8 inches, which we used call "winter" and not "Nemo."  The great things about snow storms are the way that the encourage us all to ssslllllloooooowwww down.  Browsing through Facebook I came across people planning delicious meals, drinking wine with the ones they love, and busting out the board games.  Over extended schedules were canceled and we all planned to stay home and relax.  Why does it take a storm for us to do?  Winter is rough, life is rough.  We need to go easy on ourselves more often. 

Which brings me to hands and feet.  They tend to get a beat up over winter.  Mine dry out, crack, and hurt during these dry days.  I made these lotion bars from The Healthy Beehive and have been using them nightly on my hands and feet.  I leave it on my night stand and use them liberally on those dry spots and have noticed a huge difference.  The warmth of your body will melt the bar enough to spread but it will still keep its shape. If you are carrying it around with you, definitely put it in a zip-lock bag.    

They are a perfect way to show your love for your hands and feet on these hard winter days.  Make a few and package them up for a candy free Valentine's Day gift for your friends.   The Coco Butter makes them smell like chocolate, you could add some peppermint oil for a Starbucks smelling treat!


 **I love to shop local so I went back to the local All Natural Food Store/Guitar Shop/Kids Toy Shop to get the ingredients.  That place is crammed with stuff and smells like heaven.  You'll remember it from this post**


Show Some Love Lotion Bars - makes 6 small discs

6 oz Coco Butter
6 oz Coconut Oil
6 oz Beeswax

 Measure out ingredients using a food scale and place in a small sauce pan. 

I am weird about mixing this with real food so I bought an old sauce pan at Good Will for this project.

Melt over low heat.  The beeswax takes the longest to melt, so the smaller the pieces the better.

Place in a mini muffin tin and place in the refrigerator to firm up. 



When firm, place in individual baggies and share the love!   (I store in the fridge until I am ready to use)








No comments:

Post a Comment