Monday, January 20, 2014

Back Away From the TV...



Goal #3 for 2014...TURN OFF THE DAMN TV.

Man it just sucks me in.  With DVR, On Demand, NetFlix and Amazon Prime, it is possible to always be watching something new.  Then there is reality TV which sucks me in every time.  Shouldn't I be out living my reality rather than watching other peoples'? You've all heard it before and chances are you've had this whole conversation yourself.  So lets not belabor it.

Objective:
Goal # 3 - Read and write more, watch TV less.

Action Steps: 

1.Stay up to date on my book club.  This fall I started a pretty awesome book club.  I'd read an article about a long standing book club where the readers didn't read the book at the same time.  They had 26 ladies in the group that read a book every two weeks and then passed it on.  They met every couple of months to talk about the books they've read so far.  Every two weeks was way too much of a commitment but I wondered if a book a month was a doable goal.   This is a hard thing to promise to do, so I figured it would have to be spread out throughout the country, so the "You've Got Mail" book club was born.  I put together 11 brave souls to read a book a month.  Everyone found a book, placed a couple of questions to be answered by each reader, and send their book off to the next person on the list.  We started in September and got behind from the start.  It looks like we've come to an evening out point and are back on track. This year, I commit to getting the book read and out the door in a month.  So far, so good as I am dropping my January book in the mail tomorrow (never mind that I just dropped the December book in the mail a week and a half ago).

2. Join a new book club..because I don't have enough to do.  While shopping this Christmas, Mike and I came across an awesome new bookstore in Saratoga called the Northshire Bookstore.  It is truly an experience. When I was cashing out with a book on knitting in bars, the cashier told me about the book club of my dreams. First, its at an awesome location. Second, it includes knitting while discussing the book. Third, and most importantly, I don't have to organize it!  Today I emailed the address she gave me and we will see how it goes.

Goal # 3 is off to a good start.  Time to turn this thing off and crack open my book! What are you reading?



1 comment:

  1. My biggest problem is that I never know WHAT to read. Two months ago, I read The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete